Thursday, May 04, 2006

Riyadh Retrospective


It seems like a lifetime ago that I was living and working in Saudi Arabia and yet it's only last September that I left.

An amazing experience, to be in the heart of one of the most conservative Moslem societies in the world. I lived in Riyadh, a city of some 4 million people, and worked in the Kingdom Centre which is an astounding 300 metre tower owned by Prince Al-Walid bin Talal. He's about Number 12 on the Forbes list, and a rare character himself.







His bio is on http://www.meib.org/articles/0209_med1.htm and I recall one evening at a South African get-together in Seder Village (the compound I stayed in) when two stunning, tall South African air hostesses walked in. They worked for him - one of many little quirks he has that annoy the, er, Hell out of the Grand Mufti of Islam and others. Hiring a female pilot for his private jet. Advocating political reforms. Anyway he's very popular among the youth in Riyadh.

But returning to the Kingdom Centre, or Al Mamlaka as it is known in Arabic. It's built on top of a large, luxurious shopping mall with all the big name brands from Saks to Debenhams.


Cool, clean, wafts of perfume here and there (the Saudis, like other Arabs, are big on their perfumes which in turn are big on notes of sandalwood, rose, myrrh, frankincense and others, quite different to Western tastes.) And with a great food court too - and my favourite takeaway ever, serving Iranian shwarmas which I ate in large quantities and so frequently that they knew my order off by heart.



What an amazing building it is though. Arab architecture can be breathtaking in its scope and novelty - and the Kingdom tower is no exception. At night it is spotlit and the top bathed in light of changing colours, and in the day it gleams against the Saudi sky. But best of all is at dusk, when it is quite surreal.


Apparently the unique shape, with an aperture at the top, is meant to resemble a veiled Saudi woman. Who knows. I only saw Prince Walid once and he was surrounded by a scrum of bodyguards and photographers - and amazingly, followed by a whistling and ululating bunch of Saudi girls all dressed in their anonymising black robes and veils. Like Robbie Williams being chased by penguins. I was in the food court in the Al-Faisaliah tower having a late night breakfast (during Ramadan, the first meal after sundown is called "iftar" or breakfast, and I was running late that day) when this hullabaloo happened and as the only Caucasian around I must admit I had a little spasm of "new to Saudi" nervousness.

Still, I do have some fond memories of the place and the people I met. Some great friends who I sincerely hope I'll see again one day, amazing architecture, fantastic food, strange customs, homicidal traffic, petrol at less than 10 pence a litre, enormously hot summers but very agreeable winters... perhaps if it had been easier to have a social life in Riyadh I'd have stayed. And if there had been even the remotest possibility of achieving what I wanted to at work.

Being single in Saudi presents its own cluster of problems. Dating as we know it is illegal - single men are treated like rabid dogs there and isolated from any contact with women. In fact going out for dinner is in itself a unique experience because singletons or groups of men are separated into their own space, and separated from families by walls and curtains. Add to that prohibitions against alcohol, pork and wearing shorts for men and you can see how an Antipodean boy would feel a little out of place there.

Perhaps if I had been able to entice someone to live in my little bungalow on the compound. Seder Village is one of the oldest compounds in Riyadh, a former American military base I suspect given the rows of square houses of a few basic types. I had a two-bedroom little place in "Red Bricks" street although most of the compound staff referred to it as Block Nineteen Unit 5, which is more accurate perhaps but less likely to make pale, nervous Westerners feel at home. For this little place I paid about $1400 a month including utilities which was quite steep I thought.

At least it had a little private garden. In fact that is I suspect the reason why so many Southern Africans liked to live there. Seder is in one of the poorest suburbs of Riyadh, known locally as "taliban country" and a good 20km from the city centre, but almost all the other compounds have communal gardens only and no private space where you can sit outside and have a barbecue.

Looking down "Red Bricks" street you can see the compound wall at the back. Seder had around 300-odd dwellings, ranging from tiny bachelor flats which were basically bedsits, to large 5 bedroom villas. It was well maintained, if quite old, and teams of amazingly heat-resistant Filipino gardeners in green overalls, masked against the dust, would wander around trimming hedges and tending the pebble-and-shrub streetside gardens. The private front gardens needed to be maintained at my own effort or own cost and frankly given the Saudi penchant for working late and my habit of getting up very early, I spent almost no time in the garden at all.

Getting into the city was an adventure every day - driving a tiny battered Mazda on the "wrong" side of the road through dense and chaotic traffic composed mostly of enormous American gas guzzlers like Hummers, GMC Yukons and the like. Before I accepted the role, I was assured by the local office that my tiny car allowance was enough for me to buy a decent car. Once I arrived in Riyadh I realised what arrant bullshit that was - firstly, I couldn't buy a car or even open a local bank account before receiving my residence permit ("Iqama") which takes a year, secondly I coudln't get financing before having held a Saudi bank account for two years (and see point one here to understand the full complication) and finally in any case the money my employers had allocated for a car was so completely inadequate as to be laughable. The cherry on the cake was when they offered to rent me one of the company pool vehicles (the aforementioned little Mazda) for a cost of 50% more than they had allocated me as a car allowance.

Having said all that, I am still proud of myself for learning to drive on the right in such a mini-mobile in the worst traffic in the Middle East. My numberplate reads (if you look with English eyes) what appears to be the numbers 790 and then some squiggles. Of course our numbering system in the West (which, weirdly enough, is the old Arabic system ) uses those symbols for 790 - whereas in the Arabic system (which they adopted from the Hindi system) those symbols mean "695". Confusing, innit? In fact there are only two symbols that have the same numeric value in both Western and new Arabic numbering - 9 and 1. Gives a whole new meaning to 9/11 doesn't it?

39 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seder compound is indeed very old. It used to be called "Ballast Village" and was build to house people from Ballast Nedam, a dutch construction company. I actually lived there between 1996 and 1998 and have fond memories about the great parties at the little bar at the backend of the pool.

11:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just arrived in Saudi and it is a definate culture shock! As a single, blonde white female I have already had "comments" from saudi gentlemen. I found some of your facts intersting and some of your experiences on par with what I am having. Hope to read more soon.

3:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, its definitely a small world. I lived in Ballast Nedam compound - Hartkamp 8 (behind the tennis courts) between 94-95. I remember the mad dash through the desert on the Riyadh-Damman highway each weekend just to log a few dives off a Dow from Jubail. As a member of the "Riyadh Scuba" club its still amusing to think that we divers belonged to a Scuba club that geographically speaking was in the middle of a desert.

I remember sitting on a marble "bench" in Al Akaria shopping center during prayer time one afternoon, quietly waiting for Murad photo to open because I needed to collect some prints. Suddenly, I was surrounded by a gang of giggling, veiled Saudi girls who for some reason decided to sit down at either side of me even though there were 8 other giant "slabs" of marble for them to sit on. Within a minute a Mutawa showed up and next thing you know, accompanied by a fat little policeman fingering a pistol, this angry bearded man with beady eyes stood over me, pointing down to each of black sacks in succession roaring: "IS THIS YOUR WIFE? "
-"no" I replied each time.

Long story short:
I almost got arrested that day...

Those were crazy days..

Cheers / The Swede :)

8:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny to come here and read this stuff :) I was born in Ballast Compound in Riadh, and lived there for 5 years as
a kid. Lived at Molenhook and Van Brienenoordlaan.

2:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seder Village was Ballast Nedam Compound built by that company for foreign workers and their families. I lived there 1980-6 at 17 Brienenoordlaan.

The best memories of my life and I thought a safe place to live.

8:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived in Ballast village for 12 years. My son was born there en went later to the international school.
A nice compound. In fact we have a reunie in october 2008 in Preston Palace.

10:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We lived on Ballast Village between 1995-1997 and our daughter was born there. Great memories! Any more details about this reunion ?

9:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A reunion? I lived in Ballast Village from July 14, 1992 till January 26, 1993.
If there is any information: please inform me!

3:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello

I lived in Ballast Village Nedam in 1988 for 6 months in Riyadh, Saudia. I have lots of memories from the compound. I recently found some friends on these new websites like my space and facebook. I recently found at least 4 people I use to play with when I was 12 years old on the internet from the compound I use to live in. I can't believe that compound is still there. Now I am a 32 year old female. It would be really nice to reunite with all of them again.

6:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also lived in the Ballast Village from 80-85. Had a great time there and had loads crazy mates, that i am longer in touch with. Nick Barnard

4:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also lived in the Ballast Village from 80-85. Had a great time there and had loads crazy mates, that i am longer in touch with. Nick Barnard

4:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived on Ballast from 80-85 and whent to school for a coule of years then on the Brist school. Anyhow, what a blast I had. Had loads of fairly crazy mates from all over that I an no longer in touch with. Nick Barnard face book it

4:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived there durign the 80's and what clast that was. Went to shcool the De Lear Souk?? or somehtinglike that, anyhow had a blast. Where are all those kids that I knew?? look me up Nick Barnard face book

4:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Nick I found some friends who lived in the compound probably the same you have been living there. I'll ask him if he remembers you. I wonder how much the compound has changed since I lived there which was like 20 years ago. I'm the poster up above.

9:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the interesting info. I'm leaving dear old Blighty and heading back to Riyadh (probably ending up in Seder) next week. I left Riyadh in 1992 and spent a few years in other M.E. countries before getting back to London.

It'll be interesting to see the changes in Riyadh, although, thanks to recently living in Bahrain it appears that the driving skills haven't changed much.

Good luck with your employment in the UK (I'm only leaving because of the current job climate).

Cheers,

Peter

1:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your information about Riyadh and how it is nowadays. I lived there from 1978 till 1982 (Philips Compound- Khurais Road) and from 1994-2000. The last time I lived 3 years on the Seder Compound,better known as the Ballast Nedam Compound and two years on the Al Yamama Compound! Last time I was in Riyadh was when my daughter lived over there in 2001.
I will read your information once more, so I know the last ´news´ better from the town I liked to live in.
Regards, Jet

4:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 december 2008 - am here now, although i'm lving in the 'new' villas. life has not changed much except the new bar offers a nice break from the 'dry' country.

2:44 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I lived in Ballast nedam in 1978-80.
I still remember, I was 12 years old and a lot of nice memeories!!
We were in the international school.

9:54 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have wonderfull memories! Lived in Ballast Nedam campound when I was 12 years old, in 1978-80.
Went to school at the international shool.

9:56 pm  
Anonymous Gonzo said...

Lived in Ballast Village from 94-98 Briennennord laan (?) working for Swissair and still proudly own a t-shirt of the Riyadh Scuba Club LOL, great memories!

2:14 pm  
Blogger ibnwesley said...

Thanks for the accurate portrayal of Riyadh and its nuances and some of its complexities. Too many times have I read unfair and unbalanced accounts of life here in Riyadh. So again thanks for sharing.

Shaheed (an American living in Riyadh)

9:05 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Like some of the others that posted, I lived in the compound as well. in 1998 to 1991 when I worked for Ballast Nedam as a Horticulturist. Part of my job was taking care of Prince Bandar bin Sultan's estate, which Ballast Nedam build.

Set up a plant nursery in Al Sullayil for mass plantings of drought trees and shrubs for a 120 mile wind berm.

I have fond memories of the village. I was responsible for designing & installation of the office village entrance and the trees in the school yard. Wonder what they look like now. Hopefully large tall trees to provide shade.

Lots of extreme out of this world parties. Sadiki (sp), home made beer (yuk) Glad I had some rich Saudi friends that had the "real " alcohol and BBQ'd rib parties.

6:00 pm  
Blogger Mazhug said...

went to a great fancy dress "Beach Party", complete with sand, in May 1995 in Ballast Nedam! Used to be a great compound for parties back then!

1:32 pm  
Anonymous djbensoy@yahoo.com said...

Lights and Sounds for compounds..

6:55 pm  
Anonymous Vanessa Brown said...

Have just come across your blog and have been transported back to a wonderful time in my life.My Dad worked for Ballast Nedam and we lived on the Ballast Compound from 79-80 when I was a teenager and went to the International school.Played a lot of tennis on those compound courts as well as most of the other compound courts in Riyadh!Am now a tennis coach here in the UK.
Would love to hear from anybody that might remember me, Vanessa Brown.

4:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We lived in Ballast Nedam from 1994 to 1996. We have many good memories, Ballast Olympics, Sinterklaas and of course our daughter was born in 1995 at King Faisal Hospital. The compound was older and simple but was a great time of our lives!

4:34 am  
Anonymous Lars from Sweden said...

I lived with my family in Ballast Village (Lulea laan), 1985-1987, working for Saudia Catering. We all had a marvelous time there. Our children, 4 & 6 at the time, went to the Dutch/British school within the compund.

10:23 am  
Anonymous Jenny from Dublin said...

I lived in Molenhoek 4 when i was a kid - about 1985 to 87 and went to school on the compound. Lars from Sweden, i would have been about 5 or 6 at the time. I bet i was in the same class as one of your kids :)

2:15 pm  
Anonymous Jenny from Dublin said...

I lived in Molenhoek 4 when i was a kid - about 1985 to 87 and went to school on the compound. Lars from Sweden, i would have been about 5 or 6 at the time. I bet i was in the same class as one of your kids :)

2:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mats from Finland said...
I lived in Ballast Nedam Village from summer of 1984 to past New Year 1985. It was at Lulea laan and I went to the local Dutch-British school. My teacher was Mrs Gail Hard.

4:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So lovely to read these comments.
My family lived in Ballast Nedam between 1987-1991.

I lived on the street which I think is spelt, Lesbochlan. (Lis boch lan).

Best memories of my life were on this compound.

Would love any recent pictures of the compound.

Matt McD

10:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a public Facebookgroup called Ballast Nedam Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/10237131119/

11:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The former Ballast Nedam Compound in Ryadh has changed into Seder Village:
http://www.sedervillage.com/

11:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived on the Ballast Nedam Compound (Ballast Village) from 2001 - 2004 with my family, it really was a great place to live in those days.

8:35 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Still a great compound, although I don't live there at the moment the atmosphere is as good as when came there first in 1994.

1:48 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Zijn er mensen die in de ballast nedam compound verbleven van 1974-1978

9:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived at Sedercompound for half a year in '85 as a trainee at Ballast Nedam. A very nice place with good service. I stayed with 6 other trainees in the guesthouse. Roelof

11:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember going to a party at Ballast Nedam in 1993. It made me feel really jealous of the people living there. The party itself was great though. I lived in the GAMA Compound not far from Ballast Nedam. Ballast Nedam was a paradise compared to the GAMA Compound. I spent 10 years in the Kingdom and have very fond (and some not so fond) memories of that time there. There are still moments where I wonder if it really happened or if it is just a figment of my imagination.

8:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember going to a party at Ballast Nedam in 1993. It made me feel really jealous of the people living there. The party itself was great though. I lived in the GAMA Compound not far from Ballast Nedam. Ballast Nedam was a paradise compared to the GAMA Compound. I spent 10 years in the Kingdom and have very fond (and some not so fond) memories of that time there. There are still moments where I wonder if it really happened or if it is just a figment of my imagination.

8:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home