Thursday, December 29, 2005

"Let it Snow, Let it Snow!!"


Serves me right for singing in the car the other day. I was househunting again, somewhere to the North of the city, and all in a Yuletide mood and, in addition, in relatively good voice. So having exhausted the carols I moved on to other seasonal oldies - and no sooner had I finished demolishing the high notes at the end of "Let it Snow" when stap me vitals if it flipping well didn't start snowing. And continued snowing. And then snowed some more. Then it cleared up briefly, just in time for some more snow. And sleet. Which is rain that was too lazy to become snow and just sort of froze in a sullen way.

The little humpbacked bridge I cross on the way to work was a sandwich of ice between pavements of snow. The river I live next to is also a strange chilly grey colour, dusted with snow. My duplex is behind the big tree in the picture.

It is very strange and not a little risky walking on these pavements.

Narrow streets mean the buses are whizzing by one's shoulder sometimes with inches to spare. Walking is more like skating, and even my sturdy Sishika shoes (made by brother Brett) are not able to grip properly. Their well-treaded rubber soles do, however, allow me to build up massive static as I walk on the carpets in my office - and I am learning how to "accidentally" discharge this into unsuspecting co-workers..


The little open piece of ground adjacent to my duplex is also a snowdrift. The old man with the dachshund that walks there daily is taking a seasonal break Just as well really, a short dog and tall snow is the kind of sight that brings tears to the eyes. And a localised wince a bit lower down. The swans seem to have gone into hiding as well - and the word is that we can expect a whole lot more snow on Friday. I suspect my New Year will be seen in from the deck out front here, with a jug of wine, maybe a big box of fireworks and an attractive friend. We can giggle and fire rockets at the spire of the cathedral.

I wish you all a fantastic 2006.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hippy happy and all that... really enjoying your "ramblings"

6:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home